Monday, September 10, 2012

Awesome "Mexican" Recipe


Here's the thing about cooking here at the Vegan Outreach office -- we rarely make a recipe the exact same way twice. (Anne says: I rarely make anything. Matt does nearly all the cooking!) I'll vary it by what we have on hand, what was on sale, etc. Especially with a recipe like the below, nothing will go wrong (e.g., it isn't a soufflé that will fall if everything isn't exactly right). It is in keeping with our protein / veggies / carb / sauce approach to meals -- nothing magic, exotic, or difficult.

So here's the general recipe, and then notes / variations.

1 medium onion (generally red)
2 peppers (generally a red and a yellow)
Package of Trader Joe's Chicken-less Strips (or...see below*)
1 apple (optional)
Bottle of Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce (or your favorite enchilada sauce / salsa)
Oil as needed

Tortilla shells (or taco shells, or just chips)

I cut up about 1/3 of the onion into thick strips and saute them on medium heat  for a few minutes. I stir in the chicken-less strips for a few minutes, then about 2/3 of a pepper, cut into thick strips (about the same length as the chicken-less strips, but a bit wider).

After 3-5 minutes, I add in another 1/3 of the onion, in thinner strips. After another 3-5 minutes, I add about 2/3 or a full pepper, also cut into thinner strips. After 1-2 minutes, I put in pieces of the apple and pour in the enchilada sauce; reduce heat to simmer. After a few minutes of simmering, it is good to go!

I serve on tortillas with Daiya or a homemade "cheeze," along withTofutti Sour Supreme, a homemade dip, or Annie's Goddess dressing. (I add habanero sauce for mine.)

We'll have any leftovers with rice and chips the next day.

*You don't need TJ's chicken-less strips. I sometimes cut Boca or Gardein burgers into strips; you can also use anything else that strikes your fancy.

Update, April 2013: The Whole Foods by us here in Tucson now has Beyond Meat, which we used last time we made this dish. Yikes, it is scary-realistic!

By adding in the onion and pepper at different times, some will be well-cooked, and some will still be crunchy. (I generally save some onion and pepper for a future dish; e.g., Tofurky Italian Sausage w/ sauce, or for taco meat.) I also add in other vegetables, based on what we have on hand -- last time, I put in green beans -- the right size, and crunchy too! Putting the apple in at the last moment leaves those pieces crunchy as well.

Enjoy!