Tuesday, June 25, 2013

John Oberg's Spring Report



Spring 2013 Stats and Semester Report
With Fred Tyler.

     Booklets: 97,848 (96,356 EI/CC, 1,492 GCFE): 1.5% GCFE rate
     Schools: 106
     Schools that had NBL (never been leafleted): 14 
     Favorite student bodies: University of Texas at El Paso, Grand Valley State University, University of Wisconsin -- Whitewater
     States/Provinces: 12 (AZ, NV, NM, TX, OK, KS, NE, IA, WI, MN, MI, ON) Miles Driven: 11,653 (8.4 booklets/mile) 
     Hosts (non-CS): 29 
     CouchSurfing hosts: 13 
     Volunteers I leafleted with: 66 
     Volunteers recruited on the spot: 5 
     Collective volunteer booklet total: 33,011 
     Cumulative total between volunteers and myself: 130,859 
     Talks given: 6 (Las Vegas, Las Cruces, Madison, Minneapolis, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor)
     VegFests tabled: 2 (Novi, MI / Cleveland, OH)
This semester brought me from the arid air of Las Vegas to the cosmopolitan mecca that is Toronto;  from the hostile grounds of western Texas to the bitter cold Minnesota north. Across 12 states and 1 Canadian province, I handed booklets to just shy of 100,000 students, and with the help of 66 incredible volunteers, an additional 33,000 booklets were placed into the hands of willing students -- a combined total of over 130,000 individuals reached.


With 50,000 booklets.
Some of the highlights of the semester would be getting to venture into uncharted territory in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, giving several activist talks, spending a month leafleting southeastern Michigan schools while I got to hang out at my mom's and see old friends. The crowning jewel would be speaking at the SASHA Farm Animal Sanctuary's annual banquet to over 130 supporters of the sanctuary about my story, the work that VO does, and the importance of speaking on behalf of the many animals like the ones that reside on the sanctuary just south of Ann Arbor, Michigan. 

And of course meeting new friends and hanging out with old ones day in and day out contributed to some real enjoyment on the road!

Numbers can only say so much -- what I see on a daily basis when I'm out there is that getting this message of compassion into peoples' hands works. Plain and simple. People are going veg all the time because they care about animals.

It's as simple as us getting out there and getting this work done, and this wouldn't be possible without your support. Thank you for it!

The last leafleting day of the semester was with my wheelchair-bound mom.

Despite recent bad news, she and I headed out to our old community college to leaflet (it was in the 70's when she went, the late 2000's when I did). She nearly doubled my numbers and had such a great time getting out there doing something to reduce the suffering of others. As you may know, my mom has recently been diagnosed with stage 4 Lung Cancer so I'll be remaining in Michigan with her for the foreseeable future. 

I look forward to getting back to this work when able and love and appreciate all the support you've given us so far.


From now until Sunday, June 30, you can support John's work and have your donation doubled, dollar-for-dollar. Just click here!