Saturday, July 13, 2013

Results, Not Words


In our blog's description above, we ask, "Care more about results than words?" An excerpt from Letter to a Young Matt:

The single most important lesson I’ve learned in the past 20 years is that the irreducible heart of what matters is suffering. Back then, although I was sure I knew everything, I really didn’t know anything about suffering. Since then, though, I’ve developed a chronic disease, and experienced times when I thought I was going to die, times when I wished I would die. Back then, I worried about abstractions and words and principles; I argued about exploitation, oppression, liberation, etc. I didn’t take suffering seriously. Now, knowing what suffering really is, and knowing how much there is in the world, all my previous concerns seem – well, to put it kindly, ridiculous....

After years of unfocused, self-centered, angry activism, I finally came to realize that if I really cared about the animals, I had to maximize the amount of good I accomplished with my limited time and resources. And to do so, I had to set aside my ego, and stop focusing on what most outraged me, personally....

I’ve read a lot and debated a lot, but as much as I’ve tried, I’ve just not been able to get away from the simple truths:
Eliminating suffering is the ultimate good, and, every time we choose to do one thing, we are choosing not to do another.

From these facts comes Vegan Outreach’s first principle, our bottom line and guide: eliminating as much suffering as possible. Everything we do derives directly from that – we make our choices based on which option will lead to the least amount of suffering.